Big Dance Pledge
The Big Dance Pledge is a free opportunity to learn an original choreography, or develop it to make it your own, then perform it wherever you are as part of our worldwide performance day.
The Big Dance Pledge 2016
Akram Khan has created the choreography and the free set of resources for you to get involved in 2016, along with specially composed music track by Nitin Sawhney. Using the themes of ‘overcoming adversity’ and ‘achievement’ Akram is encouraging groups to tell their own stories through the choreography and come together to share their experiences in performance. Find out more about Akram’s vision in our short film trailer.
How to Take Part in the Big Dance Pledge 2016
1. From 5 January 2016, register for free access to the choreographic resources – films, music track and written guides.
2. Use them with your dance group, friends or colleagues to
- Learn the 3-minute dance, or
– Explore creative ideas and develop your own choreography inspired by Akram Khan’s and using Nitin Sawhney’s music track
3. Perform on 20 May 2016 at 1pm or 7pm local time, as part of a series of performances across the world connecting you to thousands of other dancers, or on any other date to suit you.
Workshops and Training for Artists and Teachers
Sessions ranging from 2 hours – 5 days are available for teachers and artists to learn the choreography, tools for structuring sessions and teaching the movement, and gain insight into the themes and creative process used by Akram and the company. Focused sessions on developing, adapting and extending the choreography are also available, to support teachers and artists in meeting participants’ needs and creating unique dance works that reflect the participant group.
For more information on content, format and costs, or to discuss your ideas, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sessions are available from December 2015 – May 2016.
What Can I Do Before 5 January 2015?
Our free resources from the Big Dance Pledge editions in 2012, 2013 and 2014, along with tutorial and creative exercise films from other Big Dance projects, are available online here all year round. Why not use them in your dance sessions to create new choreography or have fun developing new ideas?
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or Sign Up for our e-newsletters for behind the scenes pictures and video during November and December 2015 as we create the new Big Dance Pledge choreography and resources.